PROGRAM 1 – Choosing and Using the Right Gear
• The best cameras to buy
• Choosing the best lenses
• Choosing zooms vs. primes
• Choosing automatic vs. manual lenses
• How to choose and use intervalometers
• How to set the best exposure
• How to balance aperture, shutter and ISO speeds
• How to minimize noise
• When to use, and not use, noise reduction
• How to focus at night
• How to set all other key camera menu functions!
• Plus Photo 101 segments on:
Exposure basics, File types, Noise sources
PROGRAM 2 – Shooting Stills and Time-Lapses in the Field
• Shooting at urban sites: moonrises, twilights and conjunctions
• Software for finding locations and planning shoots
• How to shoot auroras
• Software for forecasting auroras
• How to compose scenes
• How to make use of moonlight
• Taking multiple images for focus stacking
• How to plan a moonlit shoot
• How to capture the Milky Way
• How to prevent – and create – star trails
• How to track the sky for maximum detail
• How to calculate and shoot basic time-lapses
• Software for aiding time-lapse calculation
• plus Astro 101 segments on:
Aurora, Milky Way, moon phases, sky motion
PROGRAM 3 – Processing Stills and Time-Lapses
• Choosing a processing workflow
• How to employ non-destructive editing at all stages
• Importing and selecting images in Adobe Bridge & Lightroom
• How to develop Raw files in Adobe Camera Raw & Lightroom
• How to apply advanced settings – Dehaze, Lens Correction
• How to apply masked Local Adjustments & Graduated Filters
• How to use Photoshop for advanced editing
• How to use Smart Filters and Adjustment Layers
• How to mask the ground and sky for separate editing
• How to layer and mask multiple exposures
• How to layer tracked and untracked exposures
• How to stack star trails using Photoshop or specialized programs
• How to export intermediate sets for time-lapses
• How to assemble time-lapse movies using Photoshop and other programs
• How to create an “accumulating” star trail movie
Our Nightscape and Time-Lapse Video Course
Our set of tutorial videos shows you how to shoot and process great nightscape images and time-lapse movies of the night sky. The 6-minute video here provides a preview of the content.
The series consists of three programs totalling 4 hours of instruction. The tutorial videos are available both as a digital download and on a USB drive.
We take you from an urban location, then out to rural scenic sites to show you how to shoot the full range of images possible – from moonrises in the city, to moonlit star trail scenes in the country, then to Milky Way nightscapes at remote dark-sky sites.
In the studio we discuss what equipment to buy, and how to process images using Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop, all using non-destructive techniques such as adjustments layers and masks.
The series will take you on a step-by-step progression from easy to more challenging subjects and techniques.
You’ll start out as a novice but end up an expert.
$79.95 or $99.95
To order the tutorials, either as downloads or on a shipped USB drive, go to the All-Star Telescope website.