How to Photograph the Solar Eclipse
A Guide to Capturing the 2017 Total Eclipse of the Sun
The most comprehensive guide to photographing eclipses you'll find!
Learn how to photograph the total solar eclipse of August 21, 2017, with a wide range of techniques and camera gear:
In this 290-page ebook, you’ll learn:
The book contains:
What’s in the book:
Chapter 1: Introduction
• A summary of the techniques the book explains
Chapter 2: The Eclipse Experience
• What you will see and experience during the eclipse, with the naked eye and through optics • Eclipse etiquette
Chapter 3: Where to Go
• Where you need to be in the path of totality • Plan B options
Chapter 4: Eclipse Photo Fundamentals
• Choosing filters • Shooting partial phases vs. totality
Chapter 5: Shooting Wide-Angle Stills
• Choosing cameras (from simple to complex) and lenses • Choosing exposures and other settings • Framing options, for capturing easy but dramatic wide-angle scenes and panoramas
Chapter 6: Shooting Close-Up Stills
• Choosing cameras, lenses, and telescopes for detailed close-ups • Tracking mounts vs. untracked tripods • Setting up a tracking telescope • Focusing tips • Recommended exposure sequences • Framing the corona • Practice tips for shooting the Moon
Chapter 7: Shooting Time-Lapses
• Setting up wide-angle and close-up time-lapses • Framing the motion of the Sun. Tracking the Sun • Controlling the camera
Chapter 8: Shooting Video
• Video camera and lens options • Setting exposures
Chapter 9: Shooting Composites
• Planning a multiple exposure composite • Framing the scene • Wide-angle vs. close-up sequences
Chapter 10: What Can Go Wrong?
• Common equipment and user malfunctions! • Checklists • Operating multiple cameras and shooting plans • Automating a camera • Cloudy options • Contingency plans
Chapter 11: Processing Eclipse Images
• Workflows • Photoshop basics • Developing Raw images • Processing wide-angle scenes and close-ups of the corona • Processing time-lapse sequences • Stacking composites • Stacking and merging multi-exposure blends with HDR and luminosity masks.
Chapter 12: Conclusion
• Advice for eclipse newbies • Future eclipses • Where to learn more – for detailed maps and information on your site.
Published February 2017
Contents © 2017 Alan Dyer/AmazingSky.com
Available on the Apple iBooks Store
Buy at Apple's iBookstore
The iBooks version offers greater interactivity and easier navigation than the PDF sold below.
But it is only for MacOS computers and iOS mobile devices. This is the best option for iPads.
Available for Direct Purchase via PayPal or Credit Card
This is a standard PDF with embedded hyperlinks suitable for reading with any PDF reader for desktop computers and mobile devices. After purchase you will receive an email from eJunkie with a download link.
PLEASE be sure to enter your email address correctly, and check your spam or junk mail folder. The email from eJunkie with the download link might end up there!
117 megabyte download.